Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Filing a 501 (c) (3) status for Non-Profits

You need to make sure you've filed all the proper paperwork for your non-profit status. This will allow you to have a 501 (c)(3) status makin you tax exempt. Hopefully, you've found a lawyer to be a member of your Board. I strongly recommend that you have this lawyer review all the paperwork and file on behalf of the organization.

You will need to get the form 1023 and get the application and publication 557, which you wil find through the IRS. You can get these forms through a download at .

Do make certain that you've filed within 15 months of establishing your organization or filing your Articles of Incorporation. If you have not done this within this time you will not be able to claim your tax excempt status.

No comments: